- Post by: Virginia de la Cruz
- 11 April, 2019
Email Marketing Metrics
IBM Watson Marketing’s 2018 email metrics benchmark study examines email and mobile marketing messages sent by several thousand brands in 2017, using a wide variety of measurements to establish benchmarks on customer engagement, delivery and subscriber churn.
This year’s report includes traditional benchmark email metrics such as email marketing open, click-through and unsubscribe rates, as well as email client and device data and engagement/read rates. New this year to the report are delivery and message frequency metrics for SMS and open and click- through rates for mobile push messages.
Some of the highlights of the 2018 report include (in means):
*Unique Open rates
- geographically: best open rates are in Canada (38.5%)
- per industry: highest results are achieved in Automotive & Transportation (45.1%)
- by message: transactional outweigh non-transactional messages (44.7% Vs 22.6%)
- geographically: Australia and New Zealand claim the top spot (4.9%)
- per industry: Automotive & Transportation win again in this category (6.5%)
- by message: transactional messages almost triple the CTR mean (8.8% Vs 3.3%)
- geographically: Asia Pacific have the best performance (25.7%)
- per industry: Consumer Products are number one in this tier (22.3%)
- by message: transactional messages again take the advantage over non-transactional (17.5% Vs 13%)
*Hard Bounce rates
- geographically: most zones average a 0.52% except for Asia Pacific (1.23%)
- per industry: lowest is in Media & Publishing (0.15%)
- geographically: India and Asia Pacific show the lowest rates (0.7%)
- by industry: the lowest and best rates go to the Media & Publishing companies (0.07%)
- geographically: India email users complain the least with a 0.004%
- per industry: Industrial Products show the lowest complaint rates (0.008%)
- geographically: desktop wins in Canada (30.52%), mobile thrives in the UK & Ireland (48.38%) and webmail takes the lead in Latin America & Caribbean (62.79%)
- per industry: desktop scores the highest in Hospitals, Healthcare & Biotech (25.9%) while webmail tops the Computer Hardware & Telecommunications industry (40.8%). Mobile gets gold in Leisure, Sports & Recreation (60%).
- geographically: overall, users glanced, skimmed and read their emails an average of 18.5 in the US, 20.1% in Latin America & Caribbean and 71.7% in Canada, respectively.
- per industry: the most read emails come from Energy, Utilites & Environmental Products (71.8%).
*SMS Delivery rates
- geographically: the US shows the highest average delivery rate with an 89.8%.
*SMS Opt Outs
- as percentage of new opt ins, the mean rate is a 5%.
*SMS Messages Sent
- Monthly, companies send around 321 SMS messages.
- Inbox Vs Simple: the open rate for Inbox push messages was 37.7%, vs 25.3% for simple push.
- Clickthrough rates for this messages are both fairly low, under 2% both.
*Percentage of Monthly Send Volume (and medians):
- 9.2 SMS (84 SMS messages)
- 54.4 Push (61 mobile push messages)
- 36.3 Emails (191 emails)
Find out more about what you can do to improve any of these metrics by following our blog closely.